It was a rude awakening for some guests at a local motel.

Just before 9 A.M., emergency responders received a call of a fire at the Econo Lodge on 9th Avenue and Victoria Street in Prince George.

Prince George RCMP spokesperson Cpl. Craig Douglass said the fire is being considered “suspicious”.

As of 10 A.M., the fire department is still working to extinguish the blaze.

“We were able to get out through the stairwell, but it was black – you could hardly see anything. It was hard [to breath]. It was really hard, I have asthma,” said Hannah Roberts, one of the evacuees.

“We heard some kids screaming before we opened the door, but there were no fire alarms going off – nothing,” she continued.

Cody Walker, a Hazelton resident visiting the city, described escaping the motel:

“I jumped off the balcony, held onto the edge and kinda looked down and did a tuck and roll.”

The Prince George Fire Department department has chosen not to comment at this time.