â–ş Listen Live
â–ş Listen Live

Spruce Kings season on hold for now: BC Health Officials

As the WHL’s B.C. Division gets the go-ahead, the BCHL seems to be left in limbo.

The WHL was approved earlier today for a 24 game season to start on March 26.

Doctor Bonnie Henry says the BCHL has a number of issues to address before teams can drop the puck.

“There are a number of concerns identified, I’ll be blunt about that, that need to be addressed before that can happen safely,” said Henry during her briefing.

“I know timing is an issue, and whether those can be worked out or not, I am not clear.”

A league board of governors meeting is scheduled for this week, where the BCHL will decide to continue to work on their plan or cancel the season entirely.

She says safety plans the province had in place before November were ‘not adequate’ especially when it came to sports.

“We saw this virus start to transmit a lot easier during the colder winter months, and we are still in that period,” she explained.

Henry says a team of medical health officers, VIASport representatives, Worksafe BC officials, public health inspectors, and other officials has been compiled to look at different aspects of reopening.

“Right now they are continuing to work with the BCHL and with our regional teams. The plan is dispersed around the province in a way that is slightly different than the Western Hockey League, for example,” she noted.

The BCHL is currently proposing five hub cities across the province.

Something going on in the Prince George area you think people should know about?
Send us a news tip by emailing [email protected].

Catherine Garrett
Catherine Garrett
Catherine is an anchor and reporter in the MyPGNow newsroom. Born in Ontario, raised on Haida Gwaii, she now is living in Prince George. She obtained a diploma in Broadcast and Online Journalism at BCIT. You can find her on Twitter @Cath_Garrett

Continue Reading

cjci Now playing play

cirx Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Hartley’s Sports Shorts; Friday, July 11th

Special Olympics BC Summer Games: The 2025 Special Olympics BC Summer Games in Prince George officially began with the opening ceremonies last night (Thursday) at CN Centre.

PHOTOS: Special Olympics BC Summer Games officially open

The Special Olympics BC Summer Games are officially underway in Prince George. The opening ceremonies were held at the CN Centre tonight (Thursday), as the City welcomes nearly 900 athletes to the City to compete in ten sports. 

Measles cases reported in B.C. this year top 100

B.C.’s health officials have said 102 cases of measles have been reported across B.C. so far this year, with most of those in the Northern Health region.

Measles cases reported in B.C. this year top 100

B.C.’s health officials have said 102 cases of measles have been reported across B.C. so far this year, with most of those in the Northern Health region.

Fraser Lyric Opera hosting concert featuring youth and adults

Fraser Lyric Opera is hosting a concert this weekend at Prince George's Knox Performance Centre.
- Advertisement -