â–ş Listen Live
â–ş Listen Live

Province anticipates budget deficit of $9.7 billion

The Provincial government is projecting a $9.7 billion deficit for 2021-2022, as the focus continues to be on COVID-19 recovery.

Finance Minister Selina Robinson says the deficit is lower than the $13.6 billion predicted last fall due to less government spending.

In its budget presented today (Tuesday), the province is looking at spending $3.5 billion more than last year.

Spending has been allocated to build schools, hospitals, as well as transit and roads, Robinson says, which will create over 85,000 jobs.

$3.1 billion will be earmarked for healthcare, including $500 million for the ongoing overdose crisis.

There will be $900 million in new funding for testing, contact tracing, personal protective equipment, and the vaccine rollout, the B.C. Recovery Benefit will also continue.

“Through the adversity we have faced in the last year, we have witnessed the resilience of British Columbians time and again as communities rose to the challenge of COVID-19. As we continue to roll out the largest vaccination effort in our province’s history, we can see the light at the end of the tunnel,” said Robinson.

“We know a recovery won’t happen overnight, but by focusing on the things that matter most to people, we can ensure there are better days ahead for everyone.”

Reducing emissions through an additional $506 million in CleanBC investments will also be a priority.

The province also plans to continue addressing systemic racism in healthcare, ensuring Indigenous peoples have access to culturally appropriate care.

In addition, 400 more spaces will be created through the Aboriginal Head Start program that provides culturally relevant child care for Indigenous families.

Robinson predicts GDP growth to reach 4.4 percent this year, and slightly lower in 2022 at 3.8 percent.

Wage enhancement for early childhood educators will go up to $4 an hour, and more families will have access to $10 a day daycare.

Starting in September, public transportation will be free for children 12 and under.

100 new campsites will be added every year, starting in 2022, and $120 million will be spent to help the tourism sector, including grants to help prepare for future visitors through new infrastructure like trails and airport improvements.

Something going on in the Prince George area you think people should know about?
Send us a news tip by emailing [email protected].

Catherine Garrett
Catherine Garrett
Catherine is an anchor and reporter in the MyPGNow newsroom. Born in Ontario, raised on Haida Gwaii, she now is living in Prince George. She obtained a diploma in Broadcast and Online Journalism at BCIT. You can find her on Twitter @Cath_Garrett

Continue Reading

cjci Now playing play

cirx Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

B.C. receives first payout of $936M in landmark tobacco settlement

British Columbia has received its first payment as part of a major tobacco settlement with provinces, territories and former smokers. 

PG Spruce Kings getting season ready with training camp

The Prince George Spruce Kings have begun their Main Camp ahead of the 2025-26 BCHL Season.

B.C. sending 1,600 overdose prevention kits to post-secondary schools

The British Columbia government is distributing 1,600 naloxone kits to public post-secondary institutions in the province. 

Video Games PG Expo co-organizer calls the event’s first year a success

Gamers and pop culture enthusiasts in northern B.C. got its first taste of what could be a yearly event for the city.

“We aren’t asking for the world.”: Postal workers union gutted by Canada Post stalemate

The postal company issued a statement on Wednesday stating the proposed items from the union would increase operational costs and is urging them to revisit its latest offers.
- Advertisement -