â–º Listen Live
â–º Listen Live
HomeNewsNew dry lab expands medical laboratory technology sciences program at CNC

New dry lab expands medical laboratory technology sciences program at CNC

The College of New Caledonia has created a new dry lab at the Prince George campus, providing more space for students in the medical laboratory technology sciences program.

The expansion provides new equipment ensuring students in the growing program can receive the training needed to succeed in the field.

“In the last year, the size of our incoming medical laboratory technology class has grown from 24 to 36 students,” said Dr. Tamata Chambers-Richards, Dean of Health Sciences.

“With the dry lab, we can provide more space for students, but also better tailor education activities based on what students need at specific times in their studies.”

- Advertisement -

The term “dry” refers to activities that do not require the strict biohazard control measures that exist in the program’s main lab.

The new dry lab features:

• 18 new mounted microscopes and computer workstations.
  • A CellaVision, providing automated means of performing microscopic work.
  • Three practice phlebotomy stations and a bed for venipuncture labs.

“The addition of more advanced educational environments helps prepare graduates for their transitions into the health care workforce with greater confidence and competence, and ultimately, success,” said Northern Health Regional Manager of Student Practice Education.

“Northern Health looks forward to the expansion of this program and retaining successful graduates to work in our beautiful region.”

Funding for the lab was provided by the Ministry of Post Secondary Education and Future Skills.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading