Lara Beckett will continue to lead the Regional District of Fraser-Fort George into the not-too-distant future.
Earlier this week, it was announced she was re-elected for a second term as Board Chair via acclamation. Former Board Chair Art Kaehn will also serve again as Vice-Chair.
During its November board meeting, Vitreo Minerals provided an update on their Angus Project located near Bear Lake. The proposed project would involve an open pit proppant quarry with a production rate of approximately 2.9 million tonnes per year, located about 10 kilometres east of Bear Lake.
In addition, tipping fees for numerous types of waste are changing in the new year.
The base fee for municipal solid waste is increasing by $2 to $98 per tonne. Clean wood waste will be $49 per metric tonne, while mixed demolition and land
clearing and construction (DLC) waste will be $196 per tonne.
Other tipping fees associated with controlled waste items such as contaminated soil, asbestos and international waste will also see a 2% increase.
The fee for small load residential waste remains at $6.
The Board approved the following requests for Community and Recreation Grants:
• $5000 to the Nukko Lake Recreation Commission for septic system repairs
• $2500 to the Pilot Mountain Volunteer Firefighter Club for volunteer appreciation
• $500 to the Salmon Valley Firefighters Association for the annual Santa drive
• $5000 to the Pineview Seniors for program and operating expenses
• $12,000 to the Shell-Glenn Volunteer Firefighters Association for rescue equipment
• $7087 to the Bear Lake Recreation Commission for septic system repair and volunteer appreciation
• $638 to the McBride Secondary School (PAC) for a craft fair event
• $3620 to the McBride District Volunteer Firefighters Association for volunteer appreciation and a
• $500 to the Old Age Pensioners Organization for operating expenses