â–ş Listen Live
â–ş Listen Live

Local BC United candidate blindsided by party’s campaign withdrawal

The BC United Party’s sudden campaign suspension was just as much of a surprise to some of its own party members as it was for the general public.

BC United’s Prince-George Mackenzie Candidate, Kiel Giddens, entered the race in late September of 2023, hopeful to fill current BC United MLA Mike Morris’ spot in the legislature after his retirement.

Now, he is not sure if he is in the race at all.

“Today came as quite a surprise,” he told My PG Now. “I have been out in the riding meeting with hundreds and hundreds of voters.”

“I don’t know what today’s announcement means for my campaign or my future. It is not clear,” he said.

Giddens said he was given no advanced notice this was coming and was out of cell service when rumours of the campaign suspension started to circulate.

When asked if he would consider taking his campaign and moving to the Conservatives or another provincial party, Giddens said it was too soon to say.

“I don’t know what I am going to do at this point, or if there are any decisions to be made going forward,” he said. “Lots to sort out. I need to talk to the party in detail, my campaign team locally, and of course my family.”

As all BC United nominations are withdrawn, the BC Conservatives say they will be able to recruit “from BC United’s pool of incredible incumbent MLAs and candidates,” however, the Conservative party has Rachael Weber running as a candidate in the Prince George-Mackenzie riding already.

Regardless, Giddens said he has appreciated his experience as a candidate so far, even if this is where it might end.

“I’ve met thousands of people at this point. I have found it energizing, had some fantastic conversations on doorsteps and am proud of what I have done to put myself out there so far.”

The provincial election will be held on October 19th.

Something going on in the Prince George area you think people should know about?
Send us a news tip by emailing [email protected].

Continue Reading

cjci Now playing play

cirx Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Back-to-school road safety a team effort between drivers, parents and students

The Prince George RCMP is reminding drivers, parents and students alike of several safety tips as we head towards the return to the classroom. 

B.C. approves expansion at Mount Polley mine

British Columbia has approved an expansion project at the Mount Polley Mine, about 56 kilometres northeast of Williams Lake. 

Connector event brings Prince George’s Social Service Providers together

Many of the social service providers converged in Veteran’s Plaza outside of Prince George City Hall today (Thursday) to connect with each other. The event was first brought forward to Prince George City Council in July as a notice of motion by Councillors Kyle Sampson and Brian Skakun. 

B.C. health officials urge parents to update children’s vaccinations ahead of school year

British Columbia’s deputy provincial health officer is urging parents to ensure their children are up to date on their vaccines as most kids prepare prepare to return to school next week.

B.C. drivers paying highest taxes on gas in Canada, says taxpayer group

A taxpayer advocacy group claims some British Columbians pay the highest taxes on gasoline in Canada.
- Advertisement -