Listen Live
Listen Live

B.C. receives first payout of $936M in landmark tobacco settlement

British Columbia has received its first payment as part of a major tobacco settlement with provinces, territories and former smokers. 

The $936 million initial payment to B.C. is part of more than $3.6 million the province is set to receive over the next 18 years. 

An Ontario judge approved the historic $32.5 billion compensation plan in March, after a decades-long legal fight and mediation process. 

B.C. was the first province to initiate legal action in 1998 against the three principal Canadian tobacco manufacturers – JTI-Macdonald Corp., Rothmans, Benson & Hedges and Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd. – and their foreign parent corporations.

B.C. and other provinces sought to recover the cost of treating tobacco-related diseases, caused by alleged wrongful conduct in the manufacture, promotion and sale of tobacco products.

“No amount of money will ever bring back the people we’ve lost to tobacco-related illnesses, nor will it make up for those lives ruined by addiction. However, this is a welcome step in our mission to see justice delivered to British Columbians,” said B.C. Attorney General Niki Sharma in a statement Friday. 

“The message this victory sends should be clear to all. We will not stand idly by while multinational companies engage in deceptive practices that cause widespread harm at significant cost to people,” said Sharma. 

The province has said the settlement funds will be invested into cancer treatment and primary care, along with expanding research into treatments and promoting smoking cessation.

As part of the court-approved resolution, compensation is also being offered to individuals across Canada who meet the eligibility criteria

Canadians outside of Quebec can seek compensation for those diagnosed with a tobacco-related disease between March 8, 2015, and March 8, 2019, after smoking cigarettes sold by the three tobacco companies.

Something going on in the Prince George area you think people should know about?
Send us a news tip by emailing [email protected].

Emily Joveski
Emily Joveski
Emily Joveski is the provincial news reporter for Vista Radio, based in Victoria B.C. She has worked in radio for more than a decade, and was previously on the airwaves as a broadcaster for The Canadian Press in Toronto. When she's not at her desk, she might be found exploring Vancouver Island or loitering in a local book store.

Continue Reading

cjci Now playing play

cirx Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

PG Spruce Kings getting season ready with training camp

The Prince George Spruce Kings have begun their Main Camp ahead of the 2025-26 BCHL Season.

B.C. sending 1,600 overdose prevention kits to post-secondary schools

The British Columbia government is distributing 1,600 naloxone kits to public post-secondary institutions in the province. 

Video Games PG Expo co-organizer calls the event’s first year a success

Gamers and pop culture enthusiasts in northern B.C. got its first taste of what could be a yearly event for the city.

“We aren’t asking for the world.”: Postal workers union gutted by Canada Post stalemate

The postal company issued a statement on Wednesday stating the proposed items from the union would increase operational costs and is urging them to revisit its latest offers.

PG temperatures to remain 10 degrees above normal into next week

The forecast for next week is sunshine with temperatures in the low to mid 30's.
- Advertisement -