The 2017 Operation Red Nose officially launched today (Tuesday) at City Hall.
So far there are 165 volunteers who have registered to take part in the safe ride home service, which is available to people who don’t feel they are fit to driver their own vehicle.
— My Prince George Now (@mypgnow) November 14, 2017
Operation Red Nose is hoping to reach 250 volunteers by the time services start December 1st.
Chair for Operation Red Nose Karen Toombs says this program can benefit the city.
“Any money that comes in from Operation Red Nose stays in our community. They help the local Boys and Girls Club and amateur sports.”
City Councillor Susan Scott has been apart of the campaign for five years and says it’s a great service to have.
“I know from stories I’ve heard and from a situation I was involved in. I’m serious, this campaign has saved lives in this city.”
On average, there are approximately 5,000 alcohol-related collisions each year in B.C. that cause 3,000 injuries and 113 deaths.
Back in 2016, 872 safe rides home took place over the 10 nights the campaign runs.
To register you can click here