Northern Health is reminding the public of the dangers of encountering blue-green algae when out on lakes.
the bacteria comes in a form of scum, grass clipping, fuzz or globs on the surface of water and usually appear when there is warm weather.
those who come in contact can experience symptoms ranging from a rash, sore throat, sore red eyes, swollen lips, fever, nausea and vomiting or diarrhea.
Symptoms start happening within one to three hours and resolve in one to two days.
If you come in contact with the bacteria Northern Health recommends:
-Avoid all contact with blue-green algae blooms. If contact occurs, wash with tap water as soon as possible.
-Do not swim or wade (or allow your pets to swim or wade) in any areas where blue-green algae is visible.
-As a reminder, Northern Health recommends that visitors and residents do not drink or cook with untreated water directly from any lake at any time. Boiling lake water will not remove the toxins produced by blue-green algae.
-An alternate source of drinking water should also be provided for pets and livestock. Pet owners should be wary of allowing pets to walk off-leash where they may be able to drink lake water – illnesses are a common outcome.