â–ş Listen Live
â–ş Listen Live

Province looks ahead to fall wildfire conditions

No person is under an evacuation notice in the province.

That came from the final regular wildfire update today (Thursday) by the province adding there are still evacuation alerts in effect for some properties.

“There are approximately 130 properties under an evacuation alert, but these are not expected to host any primary residences,” said Minister of Emergency Management and Climate Readiness Bowinn Ma.

About 7,400 residents have been placed under an evacuation order this season with another 19,300 seeing an evacuation alert.

214 wildfires continue to burn across the province including several in northern BC out of the 1,600 starts this season.

About 73 per cent of fires this year were caused by lightning, with human caused blazes sitting at 25 per cent.

The Prince George Fire Centre saw the most area burned through the season at 786,012 hectares burned.

The next closest centre was the Northwest with 112,233 hectares burned.

“If we subtracted away the Prince George Fire Centre and just looked at the rest of the province, it is fairly normal in terms of area burned and activity,” said BC Wildfire Superintendent Neal McLoughlin.

At the start of the season, Ma said there were concerns having come out of the 2023 wildfire season and seeing historically low snowpacks across the province.

“Although this year’s wildfire season wasn’t as devastating as last year’s, we still faced significant challenges and a number of people did lose their home,” she said.

The province also announced an additional $18 million to First Nations and local governments for implementing the new Emergency and Disaster Management Act Indigenous Engagement requirements.

Quick responses to wildfires in the province also touched on by Forests Minister Bruce Ralston and how it helps to contain blazes in a timely manner.

“This is a reminder to please continue to stay vigilant when using open fires such as campfires, and follow any restrictions in your region,” he added.

The intermittent cooler periods through the summer also helped to keep fires smaller this year compared to last.

While slightly cooler and wetter weather has helped crews control currently active wildfires, warmer and drier conditions are expected to continue through most of the province.

“As we move into fall and next year, work will to make sure we’re proactive with wildfire prevention and protection continues,” said Ralston.

The province estimates more wildfires are expected to be starting through the next couple of weeks, with the season to remain for another couple of months.

Something going on in the Prince George area you think people should know about?
Send us a news tip by emailing [email protected].

Logan Flint
Logan Flint
Logan is the News Reporter and Afternoon News Anchor for The Moose in Smithers, covering stories from Burns Lake to Hazelton along Highway 16. Born and raised in Smithers, he's grown up around radio and has spent time as an on-air announcer for the station's afternoon and morning shows.

Continue Reading

cjci Now playing play

cirx Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

B.C. sending 1,600 overdose prevention kits to post-secondary schools

The British Columbia government is distributing 1,600 naloxone kits to public post-secondary institutions in the province. 

Video Games PG Expo co-organizer calls the event’s first year a success

Gamers and pop culture enthusiasts in northern B.C. got its first taste of what could be a yearly event for the city.

“We aren’t asking for the world.”: Postal workers union gutted by Canada Post stalemate

The postal company issued a statement on Wednesday stating the proposed items from the union would increase operational costs and is urging them to revisit its latest offers.

PG temperatures to remain 10 degrees above normal into next week

The forecast for next week is sunshine with temperatures in the low to mid 30's.

B.C. distributes 1,600 naloxone kits to post-secondary schools to combat on-campus overdoses

Free nasal naloxone is available anonymously in designated cabinets across campuses, student health clinics and residence buildings.
- Advertisement -