Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNewsCNC's Vanderhoof campus to begin industrial mechanic program in February

CNC’s Vanderhoof campus to begin industrial mechanic program in February

Industrial mechanic training is coming to CNC’s Vanderhoof campus in the New Year.

The program is expected to give students the skills to access in-demand trades.

Patrick Baker, who graduated from the program at the Prince George campus is looking forward to the opportunity to train the next slate of future machinists and mechanics.

“One thing certified millwrights do is we mentor apprentices, and I’ve been doing that since I got certified. Teaching is a natural next step,” explained Baker. “Before now, everyone from Vanderhoof and outlying towns in this area had to travel to Prince George to be trained. Now, we have this beautiful campus that I was able to set up from the ground up, so I’m very invested in this.”

- Advertisement -

According to CNC, this will be the first trades foundation program to make use of the Vanderhoof campus after opening its doors last year.

“We’re excited to have this opportunity to bring industrial mechanic training to Vanderhoof, and to make the most of our new campus in the community,” said Dr. Chad Thompson, CNC’s vice president: academic.

“Access to education is a key part of CNC’s plans to open doors for learners and help create exciting futures alongside them.”

The six-month course will begin in February and help students acquire valuable traits such as maintaining, installing, and repairing industrial equipment including how to safely utilize lathes and milling machines.

BC’s Labour Market Outlook predicts nearly 28 hundred job openings for the sector over the next decade.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading