â–º Listen Live
â–º Listen Live
HomeNews"The board is excited": Bennett on education funding model review

“The board is excited”: Bennett on education funding model review

School District 57’s top priority was met in the recently released education funding model review.

The Board of Trustees was adamant about not rushing any changes for the next school year and the report states nothing will be done for the 2019-20 school year.

“Our board has been active about this over the last few months. It really started in April when we brought a motion forward at the BC School Trustees Association annual general meeting asking the government to delay the implementation until the 2020-21 school year for various reasons,” explained Tim Bennett, SD 57 Board Chair.

“This is to allow bargaining to happen, to allow the implementation of the new curriculum to happen, but also to give the Board of Education the opportunity to look at the recommendations, look at what government might be considering implementing, and being able to provide feedback to government about how it’s going to impact our kids.”

- Advertisement -

The review is centred around more equitable services for students. Education Minister Rob Fleming said challenges with the current education funding model is to blame, especially when it comes to special needs and vulnerable students.

Working groups will be formed in January to advise how to move forward on key themes outlined before reporting back in the fall of 2019. These include inclusive education, distributed learning, adult education, financial management, and accountability. Groups will include teachers, parents, school administrators, support staff, trustees, superintendents, the First Nations Education Steering Committee, and inclusive education groups.

“Parents have long been asking for greater equity in educational programs and services for all students, and greater accountability for how resources are used towards improving student outcomes. We are pleased to see such a strong focus on equity and accountability in this report. These were key elements of our submission to the panel and reflect what parents are seeking. This is a positive first step toward the creation of a new funding model that puts students’ needs first and foremost,” said Andrea Sinclair, President, B.C. Confederation of Parent Advisory Councils, in a statement.

The SD57 board has not yet had the chance to review the report as a group, however, Bennett did touch on inequity issues facing their students. He said one of the biggest inequity revolves around unique geographical factors.

“Our district looks at things like high heating bills, disbursement between where we may pick up a child and where they go to school because our district puts over 13,000km on our roads every day with our contract with Diversified Transportation BC in terms of transportation.” Bennett continued.

“As well, because of our geographical size, ensuring that the supports are in the Robson Valley, in Mackenzie, in Prince George, these are some of the factors that we face that may be addressed now with some of the recommendations being proposed.”

To view the full report and all 22 recommendations, click here.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading