Listen Live
Listen Live
HomeNewsCollaborative Care Clinic at CNC looks to take a bite out of...

Collaborative Care Clinic at CNC looks to take a bite out of dental fees

A new partnership between Prince George Emergency Dental Outreach Clinic and the College of New Caledonia (CNC) looks to offer dental care to those who may otherwise not have access to it.

The program is volunteer-run by local dentists from the Prince George and District Dental Society, alongside students from both the dental assistant and dental hygiene programs at CNC.

“What we do most of the time is simulation work where students work on mannequins, so being able to service the needs of these patients while practising skills is very unique and exceptional,” said Cyndi Lewis, Program Coordinator of the Dental Assistance Program.

Dental mannequins are not the same as real patients, students explained (photo supplied by Justin Madu, MyPGNow.com staff).

“It allows students to utilize the skills that they’re learning, and to be able to practice those skills with patients coming from the community.”

- Advertisement -

The program, called the Collaborative Care Clinic, is heavily focused on affordability to allow those in need the ability to access necessary dental care.

“I have nothing but good things to say about this program, it has been a really fantastic experience. Everything has been really hands-on, which I think is a super valuable thing,” explained Andrea Nelson, a Certified Dental Assistant student at CNC.

Lewis said that CNC Dental Services are looking to accept new patients.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading